Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Adaptive biking in Canmore

May 24, 2016

It’s a beautiful sunny, cool morning. At a mere 4 degrees, I had to wear layers and my winter coat. I don’t mind as I know it will warm up in the later hours. We started off early at 8:30 am to make it to Canmore by 10-ish. It is a new adaptive experience today. I am a little reticent as I am trying the hand cycle. None of my extremities are very strong, but my arms are weaker than my legs in this case. I really wasn’t sure how much this would work, but as always I try to lock those niggling ideas behind a closed door in my brain and just take the day as it comes. Whatever way it turns out, it is beautiful and I will be outside enjoying the breathtaking views of the Rocky Mountains.

We arrive in Canmore on time and Jamie from Rocky Mountain Adaptive Sports picks me up at the designated meeting area and we are off to the pathway along the Bow River. This is a relatively flat and extensive pathway which will be great for a first attempt at the hand cycle. The cycle as you can see in the photo is three-wheeled and this particular one has an upright seat while some have reclining seats. These are not great for me as I end up only looking at the sky instead of ahead of me. Anyway, we adjust some of the settings on the bike. I need to be quite close to the turning mechanism to get it all the way around, but I think it will be alright.

We start on our way. Jamie pushes me over the hills that are a little too hard for me to get over and the rest I can coast. The brakes needed some getting used to because I had to push the handle forward. It wasn’t quite reacting as I wanted it to. There was only one time where I was going quite fast and was encountering people and an on- coming bike. I managed to get around them without creating an accident, but I breathed a sigh of relief when there was an uphill slope which slowed me down enough for Jamie to catch up with me. The rest of the way went great and I got in my speed fix. The wind in my hair, the sun on my skin and what feels like freedom...until the next hill anyway. I suppose that could be an analogy of life, couldn’t it?   


I managed to do more than I had first anticipated. This is often the case. As I opened that door in my mind where the negative thoughts were at the beginning of the day, I was not surprise to find it empty. I left that door open. It will be the prison of the next bout of thoughts that may impede having a wonderful day.


Until my next adventure, check out the video of my need for speed.

Check out  Rocky Mountain Adaptive Sports Center ... RMASC Facebook  or  rockymountainadaptive

No comments:

Post a Comment